“Faridodin Mohammad ibn Ibrahim Attar Neishabouri” was born in about 1119 AD in Kadkan, a village near Neishabour and from his early youth he began to study.
While he was busy in his shop, selling medicine, he began to compile his two works, “Elahi-nameh” and “Mosibat-nameh”. The collection of 1885 tales in his works indicates his high talent and ability. “Tazkeratol OIlia”, “Manteqol Teir”, “Asrar Nameh” and “Khosro Nameh” are also of his works; his quatrains are famous all over the world.
Attar traveled widely in East, from Mecca to Mesopotamia. Rumi praises Attar as such: “Attar roamed the seven cities of love, we are still just in one alley”.
Attar was killed, during Mongol invasion to Iran, in about 1230 AD.
The first construction of his tomb was by the supreme judge Yahya ibn Saeed, one of the nobles of Neishabour. It fell in ruin in Timurid period. Later on, a handsome mausoleum was installed on it by Amir Alishir Navai, the sage minister of Sultan Hossein Baiqara. It was restored and completed thanks to the efforts of National Monuments Society in 1962.
Its tombstone is made of black headstone, on which verses in are carved.